Monday, December 17, 2007

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, Lang May yer Lum Reek.

I'm having a holiday from me blog over Xmas, so let me wrap a few things up, send them to bed, run them up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes; as it were.

First of all, I hope you all keep well over Xmas and avoid the nasty flu-bug - however, if you don't, can I suggest you buy the following Get Well card, which I think is very, very, funny. They do say that laughter is the best medicine, and I'm pretty sure this will raise a chuckle from even the very ill!




Okay, Marian Heath sent me copies of my latest Get Well card, you know, the one I showed you in the short post about 'layering in Photoshop', somewhere below, so I thought I'd let you see how it turned out. Anyway, you keep well, but if you don't...

Secondly, whilst I have cartooning on my mind, there is still some time left for you students out there to become as fantastic as me - yeah, you wish! Just joshing. Anyway, you know it has been a bad year, and well, I hate saying at least some good has come out of it because that is a tired old cliche, but, at least this is a fitting memory to one of the cartooning family we lost this year; it's the Jay Kennedy Memorial Scholarship (the cartoon is by the brilliant 'usual idiot', Mad Magazine's, Tom Richmond, who is built something like myself):



My friend, cartoonist, and occasional boss, John (Bonanas) Kovaleski, had the following to say about the scholarship being open to all students, which I, as a student of English Lit' and Arts Humanities, certainly would have welcomed:

As for the reasons behind some of the requirements, starting with "don’t have to be an art student": This comes from the fact that a number of cartoonists, many of them prominent, were not art students (including last year’s Reuben winner, Bill Amend, who was, I believe, was a Physics major). And, let’s face it, being an artist is a tough career and students might not choose that as their major. But they might have a strong interest and be doing it on the side. (Some of my strongest cartooning students, the ones with the most drive, are not art students. One does three different web cartoons a week.) And the scholarship might be just the thing to help them think about it as a career.

Jay's bio is here.

Thirdly, my cousin Allan Macfadyen is 50 years old this month. You remember him, he's the guy in the Lepertown comics who read The Bunty when it was still regarded by the unenlightened as a soppy-girls comic. The handsome facial features he once might have had, have now been replaced by a slight facial resemblance to Droopy, the cartoon dog, and he has begun to shrink somewhat so that he is probably now well-under six feet tall, maybe 5' 5" or thereabouts - and a little portly. I think, that if he had a bulldog, and he was out walking the thing, people might assume they were seeing conjoined twins.

So, I'm wishing him a Happy Birthday and sending get well wishes to my Aunt Peggy, who has been poorly. And my Aunt Kathy too, who has managed to bravely overcome a very deadly foe. My goodness me they don't make them like that these days.

That's your lot for this year, my chums. Keep well, and may your God go with you (Dave Allen).

No comments: